Travelling - it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.

Wednesday 7 May 2014

Batu Pahat : Food Edition

Let me introduce some of the popular local foods in my hometown. I did not know Batu Pahat is the second largest town in Johor (according to Wikipedia). If you happened to be here, do try out these hawker fares. I will be updating as and when I go back visiting my relatives. I simply love exploring new delicacies. 

Batu Pahat is so small a town that everywhere you go, you will run into your relatives or their friends, friends' children, grandchildren. That is why they know every restaurant be it old or new. I can assure you they know all the below foods, and if you are unable to locate them, just ask the locals. They can direct you there with their eyes closed.

Do check out my Batu Pahat's foods part 2 here.

Ah Pui Economy Noodles aka Ah Pui Mee
Jalan Mustaffa 83000 Batu Pahat
New branch opened at 36, Jalan Flora Utama 4, Taman Flora Utama, BP

It first started at Jalan Mustaffa (they have moved to opposite of peanut factory), just next to my grandma's house. So I can proudly declare I grew up eating Ah Pui Mee. Apparently, their noodles business had expanded, and I have read reviews there are several stalls located all over Batu Pahat. Note that the one located at Jalan Mustaffa is just a roadside stall, only for takeaway. They are still the best according to my relatives.

My own preference is Kway Teow, and of course their gravy plus chilli sauce. What makes the curry gravy special is that it is not thick, but rather watery light. Not a slight coconut milk can be found in its gravy. Gravy is cooked with little prawns (hae bee) as well as mini cockles. As for the chilli, it is so spicy that I have to drink up water after each mouthful of noodles. It is that kind of spicy shiokness that made Ah Pui Mee famous for almost 30 years (or older than that since I'm 30 now).


Banang Hawker Centre
Jalan Seluang, Taman Banang before Wonderland indoor swimming pool which is on the opposite side of  hawker.

Comparing to Hai Kee (Glutton's Square), Maju Cafe, and Banang, this is my first hawker choice. Just look at the varieties of local foods here, and you will know why.

Otah
Satay
Fried doughsticks (You Cha Kway)
Laksa
Thai or Indian noodles (I cannot remember)
Indian rojak

Fried Oyster
Batu Pahat Garden Hawker Centre
Jalan Leban, Taman Makmur, 83000 Batu Pahat

Try out coffee from Caribbean Coffee located on second storey on the left hand side. They serve mouth-watering soft boiled eggs, you could eat two sets of them. They are famous for steamed or toast kaya bread as well as red bean bun. The bun is so soft, it melts in your mouth. Not to forget roti prata (they name it roti canai here), and abacus seeds (seng pua ji) which is made of yam and flour.

The otah fried carrot cake is sinful, but worth it. If you happened to visit on weekends, there is a mini pasar pagi (morning market) on first storey.

Otah fried carrot cake

Fock Yen Dim Sum Restaurant
24 Jalan Kundang 3, Taman Bukit Pasir, 83000 Batu Pahat
019-758 3305

When you walked into this little coffee shop, you find yourself being transported to those old Hong Kong dim sum restaurants located in run-down building. Not that the shop is old, but I just have that kind of feeling. This is the best dim sum in BP. Another one is located at Jalan Rahmat (locals name it Da Ma Lu aka Large Road). It only opens late at night, and I have not tried it out since there is always no stomach space for supper here. I'm already bloated by dinner time.


Hai Kee (Glutton's Square)
Located at Jalan Shahbandar (near junction of Jalan Rahmat)

This riverside hawker used to be crowded years ago, with stalls selling fried oyster cake, satays, chicken wings etc. Current Hai Kee is left with little choice as I believe those hawkers had retired, and no one to take over them. It is a pity as this is one of the best hawkers which my family patroned almost every week. It brought back lots of memories, and I'm eating in tears at times.


Ice Town
57, Jalan Flora Utama 4, Taman Flora Utama, 83000, Batu Pahat

Newly opened in town, be there early as it is always packed. Famous for green tea ice. Do try out instant noodles (the last picture) as it claimed to be World's spiciest. I tried a little mouthful since I cannot stand spicy foods, and we only ate one quarter of the bowl.


Jia Xiang Xiao Chi
1 Jalan Banang Heights, Taman Banang Heights, 83000 Batu Pahat

A cafe that serves home cooked style foods, famous for chicken wings. Actually, every dish is delicious.


This is fish, no fishy smell
Jin Siang Restaurant 
21, Jalan Murni 11, Taman Murni, 83000 Batu Pahat

Do try out the signature dish - fried onion chicken.


Laksa Boon
18 Jalan Ampuan, Kampung Sateh, 83000 Batu Pahat
Mobile: 016 7906781
Closed on Monday
Open from 9am till sold out

Uncle recommended this stall, and I have come to a conclusion that Batu Pahat laksa's gravy is light watery unlike Singapore's thick gravy with coconut milk.


Liang Ji Noodles House (Ah See Wanton Mee)
25, Jalan Kundang 4, Taman Bukit Pasir, Batu Pahat (former 5, Jalan S/J2A, Taman Setia Jaya)

The original Ah See wanton mee is Chop See Kee located at 2 Jalan Jenang. In fact, both owners of Liang Ji, and Chop See Kee are brothers. The noodles is as good as Fei Fei Wanton Mee in Joo Chiat whereby their noodles are springy. I have not tried the original Ah See in years, but I think original branch is better.


Maju Cafe - Hawker
JB1/4 Lot 509, Jalan Bendahara, Taman Bendahara, 83000 Batu Pahat
07-4382370

Not many food choices here, but do check out fish soup / porridge as well as cheng thng (locals name it as liu wei tang - six flavoured soup).


Ming Castle Dim Sum
81,182 &183 Jalan Abu Bakar, 83000 Batu Pahat

Check out their fried carrot cake which is different from what you eat in dim sum restaurant. They prepared in hawker style like Char Kway Teow.


Mong Kok Hong Kong Cafe
1st Storey, Batu Pahat Mall, Jalan Kluang, 83000 Batu Pahat

They have a branch at Bugis Junction, but I think the foods tasted better here.


RJ Cafe (Real Joy)
Jalan Chengal, Taman Makmur, 83000 Batu Pahat
07-4343218

Located directly opposite of The Summit Shopping Centre (look out for yellow / orange signboard). It is a HK style cafe, one of my favourite hang out places.


Soon Lai Kway Chap
6C, Jalan Fatimah, 83000 Batu Pahat
New branch opened from 6th June 14 at 7, Jalan Ceria 1, Taman Ceria, BP

When I say their kway chap is the best I have ever tasted so far, I'm not exaggerating. It is not because this is my hometown, and I'm like bragging about it. None of the kway chaps in Singapore can beat them. The kway alone is so smooth and silky, my hubby (he is a Singaporean) has to visit at least once whenever we went back to BP. He can totally eat kway chap all day. Another plus point is the pig's blood which is banned in Singapore. I'm like drooling while posting this.. shit..


SY Restaurant - Sin Yang
8 - 8A, Jalan Setia Jaya Utama, Taman Setia Jaya, 83000 Batu Pahat
07-4387686

Famed for their bak ku teh (which I have yet to try), their herbal chicken is not too bad. I like the fried lotus roots, and chicken soup with vinegar wine.


Tian Xiang Chicken Rice
30 Jalan Setia Jaya Utama, Taman Setia Jaya, 83000 Batu Pahat
Closed on every Monday (fortnightly)
012-7400246

One thing for sure, their rice is not oily and I could feed baby with this. Try out their special dishes like chicken feet skin.


Uncle Jang Korean  Restaurant
72 & 74, Jalan Flora Utama 8, Taman Flora Utama, 83000 Batu Pahat

My cousin brought us here, and I find it a bit spicy. Ginseng chicken soup is delicious though.


喜庆楼海鲜餐馆  
Jalan Flora 2, Taman Koperasi Bahagia, 83000 Batu Pahat

I don't know the English name of this restaurant, we just happened to drop by during CNY for lou hei. Didn't know that it is different from Singapore, they used Indian's muruku as one of the ingredients.