Travelling - it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.

Saturday 3 May 2014

Johor Bahru : Food Edition

We always travelled to Johor Bahru for a one day getaway just to eat, shop, and relax. We make it a point to go there at least once every three months to stock up baby formulas. Below are some of the popular eateries among Singaporeans and the locals.

**Taman Sentosa**


Shoon Huat Bak Kut Teh
236, Jalan Sutera 1, Taman Sentosa, 80150 Johor Bahru  

This bak kut teh is not to be missed from sesame oil chicken, yi pin guo, bak kut teh to ice jelly. Be prepared to queue during weekends, but the foods are worth it. Check out my bah kut tehs post here.


Bamboo Restaurant
No. 1 Jalan Sutera1 Taman Sentosa 80150, Johor Bahru

Famous for its herbal chicken, this restaurant was packed when I last visited ten years ago. It still maintains good food standards after all these years. It has now upgraded from normal coffee shop to an air-conditioned restaurant. Business seems to be quiet due to Shoon Huat Bak Kut Teh which is located on the same row of shop houses.

Teppanyaki Beancurd
Herbal Chicken
Otah Omelette
Sweet Potatoes Leaves

Kimdo Restaurant
7/28 Jalan Sutera (Taman Sentosa), 80150 Johor Bahru

Almost every dish is popular, and you must try their salted egg crabs as well as mee tai mak (lao shu fen). Have some lok lok while waiting for the main dishes. More yummylicious crabs post here.


**Taman Pelangi**

San Low Seafood Restaurant
Jalan Biru, Taman Pelangi, 80400 Johor Bahru

Remember to try out their famous fried mee hoon, crabs are not too bad.


**Taman Sutera Utama**

Pekin Restaurant - Sutera Mall
http://www.pekin.com.my/suterautama.html

Another Chinese restaurant with fresh seafood, they do have halls for wedding dinners. I have no complaints at all as even the vegetables are crunchy and soft including its stem.


Han Korea BBQ Restaurant
66, Jalan Sutera Tanjung 8/4, Taman Sutera Utama, Skudai 
07-557 0041 / 07-555 9500

Located just two rows of shop houses away from Sutera Mall, suitable for big eater as the barbeque set comes with just too many dishes. We were totally bloated at the end of our meal.


Moonlight Cake House
http://www.moonlightcake.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/moonlight-cake-house/211583785762

My must buy whenever I visited Sutera Mall. Moonlight's green tea swiss roll is superb, and rainbow cheesecake still okay. Check out my rainbow cake post here if you are interested.


Located at basement in Sutera Mall, the playground corner for children is even equipped with Kinect which impressed me. I wanted to jump into pool of balls, and slide down with baby. RM 6 for half an hour play is quite worthwhile compared to prices charged for all playgrounds in Singapore.


**Bukit Indah**

Jeju Korea BBQ Restaurant
22, Jalan Indah 15/3, Taman Bukit Indah, 81200 Johor Bahru
 +60 11-1616 7025

I still prefer this bbq as the side dishes are so appetizing. All Korean foods are the same, we honestly cannot finish their sets. Just by looking at the sides, I'm already full. One bad point is you will smell like bbq when you leave.


Tang Shi Fu - Soup Master
www.taangshifu.com.my/homepageE.html

I'm addicted to their soups, mee sua, porridge, rice, desserts... everything in fact! Out of five times I'm in JB, I will visit at least four times. That is how delicious their foods are.


Beans Talk 豆花庄 
http://www.beanstalk.com.my/beanstalk_story.html

Just found out this gem located inside Aeon Shopping Mall at Bukit Indah. It will be added to my must visit list apart from Tang Shi Fu. They served the best lou rou fan, and oyster mee sua. Even the desserts of bean curd with tang yuan (glutinous rice balls), and mango drink are heavenly. No words can describe this, the best Taiwanese foods (Eat at Taipei in Singapore cannot even be compared to them).


籠的傳人 Dragon-I Aeon Bukit Indah
http://www.dragon-i.com.my/

I certainly did not expect to find Dragon-I here, and I missed their foods so much after trying them at Malacca. Check out my Malacca food post here. Fried carrot cake, and onion cake are not to be missed.


Your trip would not be complete without some spa, body massages or foot reflexology. I recommend Eminent Foot Reflexology in Bukit Indah. It is just located right opposite of Aeon Shopping Mall, you can easily spot its huge signboard. They provide free car wash as well as buffet snacks after massage session.


If you happen to visit Aeon, do drop by at the supermarket to buy Laguna peeled coconut. The stall is near trolleys station, and you have to queue at least 15 minutes depending on the people in front of you whether they are buying 10 coconuts or not. Cost at RM 4.30 each, you get to see a man skillfully cut open the coconut husk, while another dig out a whole coconut meat with water still inside.


There was a newly opened indoor playground - Kidzoona http://www.aeonfantasy.com.my/housebrand-kidzooona.html at Aeon Bukit Indah. I'm totally thrilled as Baby could have fun while I take a break watching over him. Do check out my indoor playgrounds, and trampoline parks post here.


**Last updated on 30th March 2015**